NetNewsWire is a free and open source RSS reader for Mac, iPhone, and iPad
Download NetNewsWire for Mac
For macOS 11 and newer
Download NetNewsWire for iOS
For iOS 13 and newer
It’s like podcasts — but for reading.
NetNewsWire shows you articles from your favorite blogs and news sites and keeps track of what you’ve read.
This means you can stop going from page to page in your browser looking for new articles to read. Do it the easy way instead: let NetNewsWire bring you the news.
And, if you’ve been getting your news via Facebook and Twitter — with their ads, algorithms, user tracking, outrage, and misinformation — you can switch to NetNewsWire to get news directly and more reliably from the sites you trust.
Take back control of your news. With free, high-quality, native apps for Mac and iOS.
See full-size Mac screenshots
OMG these are old screenshots. Yes, the app runs great on macOS 13 Ventura! We just need to update these. 👓
See full-size iOS screenshots
- Safari extension for easy feed-adding
- Direct feed-downloading
- Syncing via iCloud, Feedbin, Feedly, BazQux, Inoreader, NewsBlur, The Old Reader, and FreshRSS
- Customizable article themes (Mac; coming soon to iOS)
- Reader view
- Sharing to Mail, MarsEdit, Micro.blog, Notes, Messages, and so on
- Easy keyboard navigation
- Single-key keyboard shortcuts
- AppleScript support
- Dark Mode
- Starred articles
- Special support for Reddit feeds
- All Unread and Today smart feeds
- Hiding read articles and read feeds
- Background refreshing
- Importing and exporting OPML feed lists
- Multiple accounts
- Customizable toolbar
- Apple Silicon native
- Support for multiple windows (Mac)
Check out the Help books to learn more about how NetNewsWire works.
Things People Say
It is fast, small, and remarkably stable. It looks and feels and acts exactly how a modern Mac app should — and at the same time it feels and acts exactly like the NetNewsWire of a decade ago.
I adore its simplicity, clarity, and speed.
NetNewsWire is now my go to RSS Reader of choice on the iOS. I was truly amazed how accessible this app was right out of the box on its opening day.
Everything about NNW 5 is lightning fast and I haven’t found a single crash in my use so far.
The time and hard work by Simmons and other contributors to the open-source project are apparent. NetNewsWire 5 is a thoughtfully-designed, fast app with powerful search.
NetNewsWire coming back to the scene is an important and notable step for the revival of the RSS ecosystem as we once knew it.
More About NetNewsWire
- Why Write an RSS Reader
- Our App Philosophy
- Help, Community, and Support
- Frequently Asked Questions
- NetNewsWire History
- Press and Reviews
- Old Versions of NetNewsWire
- How to Support NetNewsWire
- NetNewsWire Bug Tracker
- NetNewsWire Repo
- inessential.com - Brent’s blog
- NetNewsWire on Micro.blog
- NetNewsWire on Mastodon
- macopenweb.com (includes a list of other good RSS readers)